Aquila won the contract to design, manufacture, factory test, install and commission, two assay handling systems to be integrated into a waste retrieval and conditioning process at Dounreay Site Restoration Limited (DSRL). A design requirement was that the systems had to complement the Canberra UK designed assay systems and maximise their effectiveness.
Our engineers have been involved in projects from the design concept stage right through to manufacturing, testing at our factory and installation/commissioning on the clients’ sites.
Clients engage with Aquila at different stages in the delivery process, but we like to get involved as early as possible so that we can share best industry practice from the start, saving time and money and delivering to our clients’ exact requirements.
- Feasibility studies and cost options
- Engineering substantiation and validation
- Concept design and detail schemes
- Full size mock up for handling/ergonomics trials and human factors assessment
- Budget pricing from concept designs and detail schemes
- Detail design and manufacturing drawings for shielded facilities including the complete process
- Full manufacturing specification including NDT
- Manufacture supply and procurement
- Full assembly and factory acceptance tests (FATS)
- Installation and site acceptance tests (SATS)
- Life Time Quality Records
- Scintillation testing at Aquila’s workshop
CASE STUDY: DSRL IMPORT TROLLEYS
Aquila integrated all the requirements in the design and managed the manufacture, factory and site installations. Canberra UK and Aquila held face-to-face project and design review meetings every month, maintaining excellent communications, ensuring expectations were clear and all actions addressed.
Aquila provided the 3D design solution for the mechanical and electrical system together with Canberra for the radiometrics during the bid process.This is the normal approach adopted by Aquila when tendering to a functional specification.